The Atlanta Braves legend, Phil Niekro has died on December 26, at the age of 81. The Baseball Pitcher had been battling cancer for a few years and passed away on boxing day of 2020. As per sources, Phil passed away peacefully in his sleep. He had left his wife, three sons, and two grandchildren behind.
|Age||81 (Died in 2020)|
|Bridgeport High School|
Moreover, Phil Niekro was one of the best baseball pitchers to ever play the game. He has won the Gold Glove five times throughout his career.
The player spent 24 seasons in Major League Baseball and 20 of them were with Atlanta Braves (then Milwaukee Braves) Phil was the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1997. He was distinctively known for his knuckle throw. Furthermore, his brother, Joe Niekro was also an equally successful baseball pitcher.
Here is everything that you need to know about the Atlanta Braves legend, Phil Niekro.
We mourn the passing of Hall of Famer Phil Niekro, a 5-time All-Star and 5-time Gold Glove winner. He was 81. pic.twitter.com/WMs9wXDBm5
— MLB (@MLB) December 27, 2020
10 Facts on Phil Niekro
- Phil Niekro was an American baseball player who played for the MLB side, Atlanta Braves.
- Unfortunately, Phil Niekro has died on December 26 in his home.
- The five-time Gold Glove winner met his demise at the age of 81.
- As for the cause of his death, Phil Niekro was battling cancer during the last years of his life. He died during sleep.
- Phil’s death has left his family in ruins. He was married to his wife, Nancy Niekro for decades.
- Moreover, he also had three children, Michael, John, and Phillip.
- Also, The Knuclethrower had a net worth of multi-million dollars. However, no money can beat the illness.
- Phil Niekro played for the Atlanta Braves for 20 seasons. He also played for Yankees, Indians, and Blue Jays.
- Likewise, he won the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1997 for the first time.
- His brother, Joe Niekro was also a baseball pitcher who played for the Houston Astros.