Dr. Dorothy Otnow Lewis is a psychiatrist who has handled various violent criminals including infamous serial killers like Ted Bundy and Arthur Shawcross.
Her life as a psychiatric doctor for these gruesome criminals has been explored in the new HBO documentary ‘Crazy, Not Insane’. Other than being a therapist, she is also an author who has released several books of her experiences as a therapist for notorious criminals.
|Name||Dorothy Otnow Lewis|
|Education||Yale University School of Medicine.|
My film, “Crazy, Not Insane,” premiered at Venice Film Festival. Coming soon to HBO. https://t.co/gryVE8BVm2 https://t.co/mF67ROFZOz
— Alex Gibney (@alexgibneyfilm) October 26, 2020
10 Facts About Dr. Dorothy Otnow Lewis
- Dr. Dorothy Otnow Lewis was married to Melvin Lewis, her husband was a child psychiatrist who also taught at Yale University. He passed away in 2007 and they gave birth to two children.
- Otnow’s age and birthday are not public knowledge but according to some sources, she is in her late 60s and 70s as of November 2020.
- Her Wiki page is being updated but you can read her bio in this article.
- She is one of the most widely known psychiatrists in the world, she has worked with various death row inmates and has also done a lot of research with serial killers.
- The doctor worked with most of America’s biggest serial killers and vile criminals.
- She noted in her research that most of the criminals she worked with were victims of abuse or violence as children.
- Other than this, she is also an author who has released 3 books about her experiences as a doctor treating patients for decades.
- She is also featured on the HBO documentary ‘Crazy, Not Insane‘. The documentary follows her experiences with serial killers and death row criminals.
- The doctor has also worked with Ted Bundy and her work with the serial killer has been presented in the HBO project.
- Most of the docu-film shows the doctor in the 1980s trying to prevent abuse to other future generations by studying criminals.