Dr. Harvey Alter is a very established personality from the United States of America. He is a physician, medical researcher, Nobel Prize laureate and, virologist. Moreover, he is best known for work on the discovery of the hepatitis C virus. He has also served in the infectious disease section as a chief and many other departments.
Recently, Dr. Harvey won the 2020 Nobel Prize in Physiology or medicine. It was for his work which helped in the identification and discovery of a virus which is named Hepatitis C virus. Besides the Nobel prize, he has also won many other prestigious awards.
Dr. Harvey has been working in the medical field since the early sixties. Its been almost six decades. And he has contributed a lot in all these years. Because of his work and researches, the medical field knew about the Hepatitis C virus, it’s nature, and everything.
|Name||Harvey James Alter|
|Birthday||September 12, 1935|
|Profession||Virologist, Medical researcher|
|Education||University of Rochester|
2020 #NobelPrize laureates Harvey J. Alter, Michael Houghton and Charles M. Rice made seminal discoveries that led to the identification of a novel virus, Hepatitis C virus. pic.twitter.com/rBRYjX9fA4
— The Nobel Prize (@NobelPrize) October 5, 2020
10 Facts On Dr. Harvey Alter
- Dr. Harvey Alter was born as Harvey James Alter on the 12th day of September 1935. As of 2020, he is 85 years of age.
- He is from New York City, New York, United States, and holds an American nationality.
- Dr. Harvey earned a Bachelor’s degree in Arts in 1956 from the University of Rochester. Later from the same university, he earned a medical degree in 1960.
- His medical license was issued by the District of Columbia after which he started his professional career in the medical field.
- Dr. Harvey has worked in the Department of Transfusion Medicine as a senior investigator. in Georgetown University Hospital as director and many other sectors.
- He along with his colleagues discovered the Hepatitis C virus in 1988.
- Talking about family, Alter was married to his wife Barbara Bailey. Later, he married Diane Dowling.
- He has won awards like Lasker Award, Karl Landsteiner Memorial Award, and Nobel Prize in 2020.
- There are no details available about Alter’s net worth.
- Alter is not active on any social media platform.