It’s sad news for American football fans that Ray Perkins is no more with us. American football coach and player Perkins passed away on Wednesday on 9 December 2020. He was only 79 at the age of his death. His daughter Rachael Perkins confirmed the news of Ray’s demise on a Facebook page.
Ray Perkins was a renowned coach and player. During his time as a player, he played for the University of Alabama and Baltimore Colts as a wide receiver. Later, he started coaching for the New York Giants, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the University of Alabama, and Arkansas State University.
|Birthday||6 December 1941 (died on 9 December 2020)|
|Height||6 feet and 3 inches (1.91 meters)|
|Profession||Football player and coach|
|Siblings||Rachael, Shelby Perkins, Susan Thornton and Shirley Sellers|
|Children||Martin (Tony) and Michael|
|Education||University of Alabama|
We remember Coach Ray Perkins.
📰: https://t.co/FS7jBB5o6m pic.twitter.com/KxpJq5skl7
— New York Giants (@Giants) December 9, 2020
10 Facts On Alabama coach Ray Perkins
- Hailed from Petal, Mississippi, Ray Perkins was born on 6 December 1941. He was 79 years old at the time of his death.
- Ray Perkins, whose real name was Walter Ray Perkins, had a height of about 6 feet and 3 inches (1.91 meters). His nationality was American.
- How Did The Coach Die? On Wednesday, 9 December 2020, he had a sudden demise. New York Giants first confirmed his death, and later, his daughter came forward to talk about it. However, she didn’t clear out the cause of his death.
- Ray Perkins completed his education at The University of Alabama. While studying at university, he played football till 1966.
- Ray’s professional career ended up this year with his unexpected death. He played for Alabama from (1964 to 1966) and Baltimore Colts (from 1967 to 1971). Later, he retired and started couching.
- To date, he had served as head coach for New York Giants, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the University of Alabama, and Arkansas State University.
- Talking about his personal life, Ray was survived by his second wife named Lisa Perkins. Together, they parented Rachael, Shelby Perkins.
- Ray welcomed two sons named Martin Anthony Perkins (Tony) and Michael Ray Perkins from his first wedlock. His first marriage ended with a divorce.
- Other than wife and children, details about Ray Perkins’ family is hidden. He never revealed the identity of his parents. However, NYTimes confirmed, he had sisters named Susan Thornton and Shirley Sellers (died in 2007).
- Before his death, Ray was engaged in the Football scene for 47 years. So, he indeed had earned a hefty income from his career. However, he never revealed his actual net worth to the world.