Eliot Engel is an American politician serving as ambassador to the 16th Congress in New York. He started his political journey by taking part in a local Democratic club. Eliot first joined Congress in 1989. Engel has represented New York’s 19th congressional district twice and the 17th congressional district ten times. Currently, his district has parts of the Bronx and Westchester County.
Eliot grew up in Brox in a city housing project in Eastchester Gardens. He is a well-educated man who has received his B.A. in history and M.A. in guidance and counseling in 1973 from Lehman College. He later got his Juris Doctorate from New York Law School.
10 Facts On Eliot Engel
- Eliot Engel was born on February 18, 1947, which makes him 73 years old as of 2020. His birthplace is The Bronx, New York, United States.
- Eliot has been representing the 16th congressional district of new york in the sennet for the last 7 years (2013).
- Engel is happily married to his wife Patricia Ennis, the couple has a family of 5 including 2 sons and a daughter.
- He is the son of Sylvia and Philip Engel, his father was an ironworker. His family has a Ukrainian Jewish background, Eliot’s grandparents migrated to the states from the Russian Empire.
- Eliot was a teacher, he taught at the New York City School District, he was also a guidance counselor.
- His politically associated with the democratic party.
- Eliot Engel has 54.3k followers in his Twitter account where he shares mostly political posts.
- Engel’s net worth is estimated to be approximately $100,00.
- After 16 terms in office, he was defeated in 2020 in the Democratic primary by Jamaal Bowman, a mid-school principal.
- In 2019, following the Democratic victory in the 2018 elections, Eliot took over as Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee.