Elaine Chao is an American political personality who served as the Secretary of Labor for the Bush administration from 2001 to 2009. She was also the 12th director of the Peace Corps.
In 2020, under the Trump administration, she is the Secretary of Transportation. Her husband Mitch McConnell is also a successful and often-criticized politician and currently is the Senate Majority Leader. Mitch’s latest power grab in the Senate caused a rift as he looked to use force and his position to fill the recently vacated spot of the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
|Birthday||March 26, 1953|
|Parents||Ruth Mulan Chu Chao and sailor James S.C. Chao.|
|Net Worth||$24 million|
|Education||Harvard law School|
— Sec. Elaine Chao (@SecElaineChao) September 18, 2020
10 Facts About Elaine Chao
- Elaine Chao’s family is from Taipei and was born to scholar Ruth Mulan Chu Chao and sailor James S.C. Chao.
- She has 5 younger siblings, her family began their elite ties to America when her father started his own shipping company in New York in 1964.
- Elaine is the wife of Senator Mitch McConnell. They do not have any children together but the Senator has 3 children from his previous marriage to Sherrill Redmon.
- Chao has told that she sometimes regrets not having any children.
- She has a net worth of around $24 million as of September 2020 and her husband is also a multimillionaire.
- In fact, Mitch McConnell has a net worth of $22.5 million which some sources claim he made from ‘backroom deals.’ Anyways, together the husband and wife have a total net worth of over $47 million dollars.
- Elaine Chao was born on March 26, 1953, in Taipei, Taiwan, and is 67 years old as of September 2020.
- She was raised primarily in America. The politician attended the Syosset High School in Syosset in New York.
- Throughout her career as a politician, she has served many years in various different positions in the US government.
- Chao also has an MBA degree from Harvard Business School and 37 honorary doctorates.