Eddie Van Halen recently passed away on October 6, 2020, from cancer but he will forever remain a name synonymous with the guitar as he was one of the revolutionaries who changed the way the guitar was viewed as an instrument.
Credited with uncountable guitar tricks, he was a master of tapping who popularized it with the song Eruption. His band ‘Van Halen’ was one of the most popular glam rock bands in history.
His loss left the whole metal, rock, guitar, and music community in grief as millions mourned his death.
|Name||Eddie Van Halen|
|Age||65 (at the time of death)|
|Parents||Jan van Halen; Eugenia van Halen|
|Net Worth||$100 million|
|Children||Wolfgang Van Halen|
. @EddieVanHalen was one of the nicest guys I ever worked with and we shared so many laughs together. His influence on music and especially the guitar has been immeasurable. He was an absolute legend. Eddie, I’ll see you on the other side, my friend. Love, Ozzy.
— Ozzy Osbourne (@OzzyOsbourne) October 6, 2020
10 Facts About Eddie Van Halen
- Eddie Van Halen died on October 6, 2020, from throat cancer that had spread to other parts of his body. Initially, it was thought his brain had not been infected but doctors found out later, cancer had reached his brain causing brain metastases. Reports suggest his last days were painful.
- He had been struggling with cancer for over 2 decades and first confirmed the diagnosis to his fans in 2001.
- There were already rumors circulating among his close circle that he was on his death bed but it had not been released to the public until TMZ disclosed the news of his death.
- At the time of his death, he was 65 years old (born January 26, 1955). He was survived by his wife Janie Liszewski and his son Wolfgang Van Halen.
- Eddie is credited as a singer/songwriter for most of the band Van Halen’s songs which includes, hits like ‘Hot for Teacher’, ‘Jump’, ‘Eruption’, among others.
- Other than being a band member, he was also a solo musician and one of the most influential guitarists whose work has influenced generations.
- In the guitar community, he was known for his shredding and tapping technique. His lead work and solos used to be explosive as well as melodic.
- Due to his longlasting contribution to the music community and his humble nature, millions of tributes have poured on Twitter and other social media. Most celebrities have also paid their tributes to him.
- The Guitar God’s obituary has been shared with his fans and you can visit here to pay your respects. Many established figures inside the music industry and others from various industries have expressed their heartfelt condolences for the guitarist.
- He was active from 1972 and was active as a musician for almost 50 years during which he sold millions of copies and won a plethora of awards.